Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On July 17, 2008 - I was on Huang Shan

















I remember the bus trip to the foot of the mountain with local Chinese families carrying bags filled with food and water, wanting to make the ascent on foot. Mind you, this wasn't some tiny hill but a ascent of at least 6-8 hours straight of stairs and total uphill. We rolled our eyes in amazement.

I remember taking the cable car to the back of the mountain. Carrying our heavy overnight packs up the slopes and the stairs to our hotel.

I remember how during the night, there was a mountain wide black out, where there was no emergency power and how the entire mountain was pitch black. I remember how it was a full moon that hot summer night.

I remember the wonders of carrying our heavy packs doing the descent down the mountain from the front.

I remember the mobs of people squeezing on that tiny mountain steps just inches away from the cliff with nothing in between.

I remember the beauty of the place and yet wishing that it was a much easier trip because after that we were so wiped out..

Huang Shan

No comments: